- Sign yourself up for a Facebook account if you haven't done so already, and sign into your account.
- You will see a link for "Groups" on the left hand side of your page.
- Click "Groups". Then on the right hand side of the screen, click the button that says "Create a Group".
- This takes you to another page, "STEP ONE" with a series of boxes that you need to fill in.
- The first box is your Groups name.
- Call it Genealogy - <name of people researching>
- In the description field, type as much about your research interest as you can. Include full names, dates etc.
- I also include a disclaimer stating that the group is open only to descendants/relatives and that if they request an invitation to join the group, they should state where they think they may be connected. It is important that your family feel that you are keeping their privacy safe.
- I select "Common Interest" and "Families" in the group type scroll down menus.
- The box "recent news", I reserve for my most up-to-date research breakthroughs, and try to keep updated.
- I leave "office:" box blank, but I fill in my email address, so that I can be contacted.
- If you have a family history website, then put the website address in the website box. I leave street address blank, but I do put my city in the town/city box.
- Click "CREATE GROUP" at the bottom, which then takes you to "STEP TWO"
- A series of options have been pre-selected. Read them carefully, but I leave them all as they are, EXCEPT the bottom subheading which says "ACCESS". I choose "this group is closed" for this option.
- Click SAVE, and it will ask you if you want to post the new group profile to your Facebook profile wall. I would say "Yes".
- Lastly, you get the opportunity to invite people who are already your Facebook friends, and also to invite people via email, who aren't on Facebook list.
- Keep your Facebook group up to date, with news. Use "Wall posts" to communicate with your family. Encourage them to post family pictures and anecdotes.
Good luck, and have fun!